What’s better than a cross between a pie and a cupcake? Better yet did anyone know this existed? I didn’t until the other night when I ran across this recipe in my favorite cupcake book. It can be dessert, breakfast, brunch or just a midnight snack. Since summer is still sticking around, as in the humidity feels like a blanket smothering us, a pie-cupcake sounds like a perfect treat. If you have the ability to pick fresh blueberries, like I used too in Alaska then they will make this recipe even better. You can even swap out the blueberries for any other fruit. Enjoy 🙂
Ingredients for the Cupcakes:
- 2 cups Pamela’s all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 1 ¾ cups sugar
- ½ butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup of skim milk
- 1 ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 egg whites
- 1 ½ cup blueberries
- 1 ½ cups cherries
The ingredients for the Streusel:
- 1/3 cup Pamela’s all purpose flour
- ¼ cup of old fashioned oats
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup of butter
- *Original recipe from the great cupcake book
The creation of the cupcake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line cupcake pans with liners.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- Using an electric mixer beat the sugar and butter together for about a minute. Add in the milk and vanilla.
- Gradually add the flour mixed and mix for 2 minutes.
- Add in the egg whites and beat for a minute. Don’t forget to scrape down the sides of the bowl to mix all the batter.
- Fill the cupcake liners half way; I ended up making 26 cupcakes instead of 24. Sprinkle blueberries and cherries over the top. Bake for 10 minutes.
The creation of the Streusel:
- Combine flour, oats, brown sugar and cinnamon together in a bowl. Cut butter in and use your hands to combine all ingredients until it resembles a crumble.
- When the cupcakes have baked for 10 minutes, take them out and sprinkle the streusel over the top of the cupcakes. Return to oven for another 22 minutes.
*Original Recipe can be found in: