Happy pumpkintober! This time of you brings with it beautiful colors and sumptuous smells. The nip in the air beckons you out into a cornfield and warms yours soul with apple cider at the end. You lust over your friends pumpkin donuts and sigh knowing that there is little alternative out there. But I have found a recipe that can give you back pumpkin donuts. I have long suspected that these yummy treats would make the perfect first attempt at gluten-free donuts. The best part is they are moist, amazing, head turner, delicious donuts that can be made in less than an hour. I hope you enjoy these all pumpkin season long!
½ cup butter
3 large eggs
1 ½ cups granulated sugar
1 ½ cups pumpkin purée (canned pumpkin)
1 ½ teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 ½ teaspoons salt
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
1 ¾ cups + 2 tablespoons of flour (I recommend Pamela’s All Purpose Flour)
2 tablespoons cinnamon
1 cup fin sugar
The creation of the Pumpkin Donuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Combine butter, eggs, sugar, pumpkin puree, pumpkin spice, salt and baking powder together in a stand mixer.
- Add in the flour and mix until smooth.
- Place in a doughnut pan. I used Ziploc baggies. Just cut the ends off to create your very own piping bags.
- Cook in the oven for 15-18 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let them cool for 5 minutes.
- During that time combine fine sugar and cinnamon in a bag to make cinnamon sugar.
- When the donuts are still warm but not fragile place them in the bag to coat them with cinnamon sugar.
- Repeat steps 4-8 until done.