Sunday’s are meant to be spent watching Netflix, laying on a beach or reading a good book. In fact, you are encouraged to take Sundays and lie low. Gone are the party filled, people drooling, chore tackling Friday and Saturday. At last Sunday arrives, you sleep in, go for a run and then there is a fabulous thing that only being in your 20’s reveals to you called brunch.
This Sunday I woke determined to make waffles and egg muffins. No, stop now if you think I’m referring to a little piece of American food shroud by double arcs. I mean a muffin that is made of eggs and veggies; more like mini quiches, now that I’m thinking about it.
Then I a thought crossed my mind, what if I made them into a sandwich?! So, I started making the waffles, embolden by this wonderful coffee induced idea.
- 1 3/4 cups Pamela’s baking flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups vanilla almond milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
The Creation of the Waffle (makes 10)
- Mix the flour, baking powder and salt together in a medium bowl.
- In another bowl, beat the milk, eggs, melted butter and vanilla extract.
- Pour the liquid mixture over the dry mixture. Stir with a fork until just combined. Let sit five minutes
- Meanwhile, heat your waffle iron. Use a 1/4 measuring cup to distribute batter.
- And presto you have the waffles. Repeat step 4 until there is no more batter.
- 3 tablespoons dry gluten free bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced fat cheese (I used a blend, but feel free to use your favorite cheese).
- 1/2 cup diced pepper
- 1/2 cup of bacon, because every breakfast needs bacon.
- 3 tablespoons of light mayonnaise
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup liquid eye whites
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon of hot sauce
- red pepper flakes
The Creation of the Egg Muffin
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray the muffin pan with Pam.
- Cover the bottom of the pan with bread crumbs. Make sure the bottom is evenly coated.
- Add 1 tablespoon of cheese to each muffin pan.
- Chop up the green onions and peppers. Place into a microwave safe bowl and cook them on high for 2 minutes.
- Put a pan on the stove and let it get hot. Once hot add the bacon and cook until crispy.
- Chop up the bacon and place it in the bowl with the onions and peppers. Stir until combined.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the milk, mayonnaise, and hot sauce. Add the eggs, egg whites, and black pepper. Whisk until combined.
- Put an equal amount of the vegetable mixture from above into the muffin pan.
- Pour the egg mixture over each muffin tin until 3/4 full.
- Place in the over and let back for 22-24 minutes.
THE CREATION OF THE EGG AND WAFFLE SANDWICHES
- When the muffins have come out of the oven and cooled for 5 minutes, cut in half.
- Place half of the muffin on the waffle.
- Add a piece of cheese and hot sauce to the top.
- Then cover the with another waffle.
- If making for a party, place a toothpick in them to ensure they stay together.
- Then enjoy!