Today I am getting together with friends to decorate cookies. We have all sorts of cookies that we will be decorating and some will solely be for eating during the process. These Carnival Lemon cookies add a bright, vibrant taste to any party. Whether looking for a last minute cookie for the work holiday party or a sweet treat these old world Italian cookies offer the perfect hint of sweet and savory.
Ingredients of the Carnival Lemon Cookie
- 1-1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Rainbow Colored Jimmy’s
- 1/4 cup milk
Creation of the Carnival Lemon Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF
- Combine sugar, flour, baking powder, salt and lemon zest in a stand mixer. Mix until combined.
- Add eggs and vanilla. Mix until combined
- Cut in butter and slowly add milk until a dough forms.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes before rolling out the dough.
- Roll out the dough. Using your favorite cookie cutters, cut into shapes and cover with sprinkles. Or you can roll the dough into one inch balls in your hand and roll them in the sprinkles.
- Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 15 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.