The middle of February in Chicago is painted with gray skies consuming the skyline framed by the dazzling glitter of the lake. The days beat on slowly moving us towards spring. The holidays are officially over and life falls back into its normal patterns.
What better way to sweeten up a girl’s night or a date night than with Eat Your Heart Out Brownies. This delectable treat will chase away the winter blues and pairs perfectly with some wine and cheese to spice up any night.
- GF Boxed Devil’s Food Cake
- 1 can of evaporated milk
- ¼ cup of canola oil
- 1/8 cup of water
- 3 eggs
- 1 stick of butter or about ½ a cup
- 1 bag of caramels with the wrappers removed
- 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Red or pink food dye
The Creation of Eat Your Heart out Brownie
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- Combine boxed devil’s food cake, melted butter, ½ cup of evaporated milk, 3 eggs, ¼ cup of canola oil and 1/8 of a cup of water in a bowl. Stir the mixture until all the ingredients are combined.
- Next, grease a 9X9 pan with pam or butter. I prefer Pam because of its easy of use.
- Place half of your batter into the pan so that it covers the whole area of the pan.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- While the batter is in the oven, place the caramels in a glass bowl. Fill a small saucepan with water and set it on the stove. Place the glass bowl over the saucepan creating a double boiler. Add the rest of the evaporated milk and food dye to the caramel. Stir until smooth.
- Remove the batter from the oven and allow to cool.
- Once cool, pour the caramel over the batter and add chocolate chips
- Place the remaining batter over the caramel forming a sandwich of sorts.
- Place the pan back in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Once it is cooked through remove from the oven and let cool on counter top for 30 minutes.
- Place in the fridge for one hour before serving
- Most importantly enjoy this sweet treat!