This dish was a fabulous accident. I wanted to take the idea of a normal burrito, twist it with Asian flavor and serve with a wet sweet soy sauce.
However, the tortilla I fell apart during assembly and the Twisted Burrito Nachos was born. This dish is perfect for a quick weeknight pick-me-up or for a Saturday night party. The dish is a little sweet, a little sour and a little spicy. A perfect combination of desire and comfort.
The Burrito and Nachos:
- 1 cup of cook rice
- baked beans
- Tortilla chips
- 1 cup Pineapple
- 4 pork chops
- 1/4 cup of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of peanut sauce
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 cup of Asian slaw
- 1/2 cucumber
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 2 cloves of garlic
The Hot Sauce:
- 1/4 cup of mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons of sriracha
The Sweet Sauce:
- 1/4 soy sauce
- Baked bean juice
- 2 tablespoons of rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of syrup
The Creation of The Gluten-Free Twisted Burrito Nachos:
Pickled Veggies in a Mason Jar:
- Chop half a red onion, garlic and cucumber; add it to a mason jar. Add the pre-cut Asian slaw.
- Pour white vinegar into the jar until the vegetables are covered, then add the sugar to sweeten.
*The longer you allow to pickle the better the flavor will be.
The Burrito Filling:
- Two hours before serving, cut the pork into cubes and place in a bag. Add 1/4 a cup of soy sauce and 1 tablespoon of peanut sauce to the bag. Marinate in the refrigerator before cooking.
- In a rice cooker place 1 cup of rice, cilentro, salt, and garlic (If you don’t have a rice cooker, follow the instructions on the package for the stove).
- Mince the cilantro and chop the pineapple. Set aside.
- Place a pan on the stove over medium heat. Add the pork and saute for 2-4 minutes depending on size. Add pineapple, scallions, and cilantro to the pan until the ingredients marry together. Turn the stove to low heat.
- Open a can of Baked beans and drain liquid into a bowl. Set aside the liquid.
- Add rice and baked beans to the pan. Stir.
- Spicy Sauce: Combine mayonnaise and sriracha together.
- The Sweet Sauce: Combine soy sauce, the drained liquid from the beans, rice wine vinager, and syrup. Stir until combined.
- Set both aside.
The Construction of the Twisted Burrito Nachos:
- On a plate place a layer of tortilla chips, a layer of burrito filling, and a layer of cheese. Place in the microwave for 1 minute or until the cheese is melted.
- Add a layer of pickled veggies. Drizzle the sweet and spicy sauces over the nachos.
- Top with scallions and most importantly ENJOY!